Thursday, February 16, 2012

Twitter as Professional Development

Twitter as Professional Development

Here we go again!  John and I are going to give this blog thing a try again.  Hopefully with the two of us we can keep things updated!  Wish us luck as we once again go on an Ed Tech Journey.

I tried Twitter three years ago and never saw the benefit of it.  I followed a few people, mostly sports stars and celebrities, tweeted what I had done that day, and then...nothing!  I didn't understand Twitter, nor did I see the benefit of it, until....I followed the correct people.  I found the "gurus", followed them, and then followed people they were following.  It was as if a light bulb went off above my head.  Learn from my mistake/blindness.  Twitter has been THE best professional development I have ever gotten, and the best part is that it is ongoing and on my own time.  If you want to join Twitter, here is how it works.

  1. Go to Twitter.com and create an account.
  2. Skip through the suggested people for you to follow.
  3. Search for @braymo22 and @gitsul and follow us.
  4. Look through who we are following, find the "gurus" from the people we follow.
  5. Watch the tweets for a couple weeks before contributing.

Twitter is a conversation.  Like all conversations there are talkers and listeners.  Since you are new to the community, just listen for awhile to see what people are Tweeting.  Look for a more detailed post on the specifics of Twitter at a later date.  Just signup, login, and listen for now.  If you just cant wait watch Twitter 102 from Josh Stumpenhorst and then follow him @stumpteacher.  He is a great ed tech and social studies resource!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...